Tuesday, May 26, 2009

OTJ (On the Job) - TORK Timeclock

This past Friday I had the opportunity to wire up my first lighting contactor and TORK digital time clock. We briefly talked about lighting contactors back in Book 4, but standing in front of an empty box and sorting through six different control diagrams trying to make sense of it all is a much more intimidating feat than I had originally imagined it to be, what with the mix of mechanical and electronic components, the mix of 277 and 120 lighting circuits, and the control circuit to boot!

As much practice as we got in the motor control lab at school, and as much as I felt I truly understood those concepts, I must honestly say I did get a little confused trying to interpret the schematics that came with the equipment. Bit by bit however, I did piece it together as best I could, and with just a couple final questions (with some help from Tom Myers) about the override switch inputs, I at least finished wiring the whole thing. Before I get it *hot* you can bet that some preliminary testing shall take place.

I think it's somewhat reassuring that my foreman simply handed me the project and said "I haven't even looked at this in detail yet, so... yeah." Reassuring, in that I suppose he trusts me to get it done. On the other hand, it's also a sort of trial by fire (I hope not literally). I'm just thankful that I have a slew of brains to pick, and plenty of phone numbers to call if ever I need the help. It's not so bad knowing there's this HUGE safety net of people I've met and worked with on the job, not to mention the instructors -- whose lives revolve around us apprentices! Hahahahahahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't help that one.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if our lives "revolve around the apprentices, but I can tell you its pretty gratifying to read about a student applying some of what she/he has learned here at school. It seems that every once in awhile, the books and stuff come in handy... who would have imagined that?

    ReplyDelete