Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Trades at Work

On the job where I am now, I get to work around lots of people. Particularly impressive to be around are the union carpenters. They're installing some gorgeous wood panelling (that we, as electricians have to coordinate with, in order to get our devices in just right). It's really heavy stuff, so there's an unusually large number of men working from the same shop all in the same little area. The electricians are completely outnumbered -- our 2 to their 12, all working in the elevator lobbies found on two floors. Not to mention the elevator guys who tend to pop in and out of their contraptions!

Needless to say, there's not much room to maneuver out there. I've been going back and forth on the fire alarm tenant fit-out on these two floors for the past few weeks, so we're all starting to get acquainted with each other. Being around these guys reminds me of the days when I worked on a "base-building" crew. The differences are astounding between "base-building" and "tenant" work. I find that these days, I end up working alone for long stretches, getting assigned to small projects, and working through until it's complete and I'm ready for another project. But on base-building jobs, there's always at least 3-4 other electricians you're working near, if not working together on the same project.

The carpenters reminded me of the comradery found in working together toward the same goal. You know, you joke around, make the day go by together, all in good fun, while still working steady throughout the day. The entire crew eats together and learns from one another above and beyond the trade -- they talk together about personal issues and about coping strategies, economic welfare and relationship strife. Because of the rapport that they share, no topic is taboo, and conversation runs the gamut. There is a wealth of knowledge out there, if only we take a breath, and listen.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I am a female from Boston planning to relocate to VA for the session beginning July/August. I understand about the how the recession is affecting workers. The Union is not even accepting new applicants this year here and Ive been waiting t get in. Can you please give me some pointers on how to make the transition comfortable and anything else I need to consider. I like how your not sugar-coating anything. Congrats, and keep up the good work! [Comment moderated to remove personal information]

    ReplyDelete